It’s Easy to Make your Own Essential Oil Recipes for Night Sweats!
Not long ago when I was having trouble sleeping, a friend told me to try essential oils to sleep better and it worked. So after a particularly sweat-filled night, I wondered if trying essential oil recipes for night sweats would help me sleep cooler.
I just want to be cool at night, okay? Is that too much to ask?
Using essential oil for night sweats is a great way to naturally find relief from night sweats, without cranking down the thermostat to arctic levels and freezing your family out.
- 1 It’s Easy to Make your Own Essential Oil Recipes for Night Sweats!
- 2 What are the Best Essential Oils for Night Sweats?
- 3 Night Sweats No More Massage Oil Recipe
- 4 Night Sweats and Hot Flash Body Spray Recipe
- 5 Cool as a Cucumber Night Sweat Body Balm
- 6 Keep Me Cool Bath Soak for Night Sweats
- 7 Cool and Crisp Body Oil for Night Sweats
- 8 Want More Essential Oil Recipes Like These?
- 9 Sleepin’ Cool and Lovin’ it with Essential Oil Recipes for Night Sweats
What are the Best Essential Oils for Night Sweats?
Before you can begin to make your own essential oil recipes for night sweats or hot flashes, you’ve got to learn which essential oils can help cool you down. These are a few oils that can help keep you cool at night.
- No surprise, one of the most effective oils to use is peppermint essential oil because it’s so cooling on the skin. A lot of recipes for night sweats will use peppermint oil as the main ingredient.
- Clary sage essential oil is a woman’s best friend. It helps to regulate women’s hormones when it comes to PMS and can reduce night sweats. Clary sage is also a great sleepytime oil because it relaxes the mind and body, which is a plus if you have trouble calming your mind down enough to sleep.
- Cypress essential oil has cooling properties that are similar to peppermint. It’s also a good oil to use at night because its calming effect on the central nervous system.
- Geranium essential oil works well for hot sleepers because it helps to adjust hormones and keep hot flashes and night sweats at bay. I bet you didn’t think those geraniums you have in your flower garden could help night sweats, huh?
Night Sweats No More Massage Oil Recipe
- 15 drops Clary Sage Essential Oil
- 10 drops Geranium Essential Oil
- 5 drops Lemon Essential Oil
- 2 drops Peppermint Essential Oil
- 2 tbsp fractionated coconut oil
Add all oils to the fractionated coconut oil and mix well. Rub onto your arms, chest, and shoulders before bed. If you happen to have any sweat attacks or hot flashes at night, reapply if needed to cool yourself down.
Alternatively, you can also add all the ingredients to a cool bath and soak, rubbing the water into your skin.
This is one of the best essential oil recipes for night sweats if you find peppermint overpowering. To me, it has just enough to cool your skin, without having too strong a smell.
Night Sweats and Hot Flash Body Spray Recipe
- 6 tbsp distilled water
- 2 tbsp unscented witch hazel
- 8 drops peppermint essential oil
- 8 drops clary sage essential oil
- 8 drops chamomile essential oil
Don’t have distilled water? Purify your own! Bring 2 cups of tap water to a rolling boil. Let cool and measure out 6 tbsp.
Add all ingredients to a 2 or 4 ounce glass spray bottle and shake to mix. To use, shake well and spray all over your body before getting into bed. You can also spray your sheets and pillowcases to benefit from the aromatherapy.
This is one of my favorite recipes because it’s like making perfume that keeps you cool. Don’t be afraid to be creative either. You can make your own personalized recipe by substituting 8 drops of essential oils like cypress, lavender, or geranium. (or use them all!)
Cool as a Cucumber Night Sweat Body Balm
- 3 tsp organic coconut oil
- 5 tsp organic almond oil
- 4 tsp beeswax pellets
- 20 drops peppermint essential oil
- 10 drops eucalyptus essential oil
Add the coconut oil, almond oil, and the beeswax pellets to a clean, dry pint jar. Place the jar in a small saucepan and fill with enough water to come up about an inch on the jar. Heat on low, stirring with a chopstick until the oils and beeswax melt.
Remove from heat and add the essential oils. Stir well with your chopstick. Pour mixture into metal tins with a tight fitting lid.
Before bed, (or anytime you’re hot and sweaty!) rub into pulse points, like your wrists and temples. But if you want an all over cooling experience, it’s okay to use it as a body butter and rub it in all over. 🙂
Peppermint – 100% Pure, Best Grade Essential Oil – 10mlEucalyptus 100% Pure, Therapeutic Essential OilSweet Almond Oil, 100% Pure and Natural, 16 fl oz.Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil, 54 Ounce1-lb Pure White BEESWAX Pellets-100% Pure
Keep Me Cool Bath Soak for Night Sweats
- 10 drops borage seed oil
- 10 drops clary sage essential oil
- 10 drops geranium essential oil
- 5 drops cypress essential oil
- 5 drops peppermint essential oil
- 1 tbsp milk
Mix all ingredients in a glass bowl. Fill your tub with warm water. As the water is running, add the oil/milk mixture to the bath water, swishing the water with your hand. Soak in the tub for 30 minutes. While you’re in the tub, rub your body to massage the oils into your skin.
I’m all about relaxing, especially in the evenings, and this is a really soothing way to relieve night sweats. If you like, follow up with the cooling spray or body balm to keep cooler longer.
Cool and Crisp Body Oil for Night Sweats
- 10 drops grapefruit essential oil
- 10 drops lemon essential oil
- 5 drops lavender essential oil
- 2 drops spearmint essential oil
- 2 tbsp fractionated organic coconut oil
Mix all ingredients together and rub all over your body. Keep any extra in a small tin with a tight fitting lid by your bed to reapply when needed.
WARNING: Grapefruit oil is VERY potent. I found out the hard way that grapefruit essential oil will burn skin if not diluted. So, please, don’t leave out the coconut carrier oil! If you don’t have coconut oil on hand, you can substitute almond oil, or even virgin olive oil in a pinch.
Citrus oils like grapefruit, lime and lemon are good essential oils for night sweats because they can help lower systolic blood pressure and balance estrogen levels.
Radha Beauty Lavender Essential Oil 100% PureNow Foods Essential Oil, Lemon, 4 OunceGrapefruit (Large 4 ounce) Best Essential OilSpearmint (Large 4 ounce) Best Essential OilFractionated Coconut Oil (Liquid) – Large 16oz
Want More Essential Oil Recipes Like These?
The Insomniac’s Essential Oil Guidebook covers 18 essential oils that are known to help sleeplessness, restlessness, racing thoughts, etc., PLUS explains the best way to use each of them. As a bonus, there’s also 40+ easy to follow essential oil recipes to help you drift of to dreamland!
Sleepin’ Cool and Lovin’ it with Essential Oil Recipes for Night Sweats
Sometimes menopause, medication or for whatever reason, your body’s thermostat just goes haywire and goes into overdrive while you sleep. You can either shut up and hang on for that hormonal roller coaster, or you can try to outmaneuver Mother Nature.
There’s no magic bullet to beating night sweats, I’ve found using a multi-pronged approach is best. I sleep cool by sleeping in nightclothes made from natural fibers, like bamboo pajamas, and using performance sheets that keep you cool.
And now that I know what essential oils work for night sweats, I can use them in cooling essential oil recipes for night sweats like these to keep cool and sleep on!
Join the Free 7 Day Sleep Challenge!
During the Sleep Challenge You Will:
- Establish good sleep habits
- Learn how to stop a racing mind
- Receive free printables, including a sleep journal
- Track your sleep stats
Get all the tools you need to get started on your journey back to good sleep!
*You'll also be added to our weekly newsletter list.